Inspiring Holiday ReadingNov 22, 2023
Reading is something I love to do, and yet I don't get nearly as much time as I would like to do it. I started off this year with a reading list, where I broke down how many pages I would need to read of each book to get through everything.
A slight snag - I kept finding out about and buying more books, which got added to the pile, and then I felt inspired and started reading them. Next thing you know, I have four books on the go!
It's now almost the end of the year and I haven't read the original list. I've read other books though, so that kind of counts.
Of the books I have read this year, there are a few that really stand out, and I think would make GREAT holiday reads.
I struggled to come up with my Top 3, so I ended up with my Top 7. Here they are (in no particular order):
- "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz - anything written by this man (and his son Don Miguel Ruiz Jr) are worth adding to your reading list. If we all lived by this philosophy, each of us and the world would be a much happier place. The book is small, yet mighty and super inspiring.
- "The Gap and the Gain" by Dan Sullivan with Dr Benjamin Hardy - a really good book to read at the end of a year or chapter in your life. It's great for reflection and also for forward planning. I actually finished this over the last summer break and it really set me up for 2023. Another must read.
- "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson - once he settled down with the expletives at the beginning of the book, it turned into a really inspirational read. So much "common sense" and a great perspective on life and how we live in this modern world.
- "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill - an absolute classic. I have to admit that the first time I tried to read this book I gave up at page 11. When I picked it up next I couldn't put it down. Definitely a book for when you need to read it. Older English in style, yet some very sound fundamentals for life and wealth creation.
- "Be Seen" by Jen Gottlieb - newly released and a great read to set yourself up for a New Year. A mix of motivation and practical action steps, this will be a book to keep referring to as you grow and hit new ceilings (metaphorically of course) that you want to break through.
- "Atomic Habits" by James Clear - a powerful book with great, practical information and easy to ready. It's well researched, yet not too jargonistic or theoretical. A lot of parallels with how I live and how I help clients. Love this book for anyone wanting to function at a higher level.
- "Life Admin Hacks" by Mia Northrop and Dinah Rowe-Roberts - I recently read this book and interviewed Mia for my podcast, Money with Alpha. Excellent summation of all the facets that women are dealing with and a lot of research and work has gone into helping make these facets much easier to manage. A must read to streamline your life!
See why it was so difficult to cull down even further than 7! I hope some of these speak to you and you can find what you need to help inspire and refresh you over the festive period, so you can start 2024 with a perspective that will take you where you want to go!